The BA or BS in History and Social Sciences Education is designed specifically for students seeking secondary teaching careers and prepares them to teach American, World, and Utah History, along with Political Science, Geography, Economics, Sociology, and Psychology. This emphasis also includes a Secondary Education (SCED) teaching certification which qualifies students to secure employment at the high school level immediately upon graduation.
PROGRAM LEARNING OUTCOMES
At the successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Assess and critique local and global issues based on acquired knowledge in science to formulate solutions to problems.
- Integrate knowledge of basic fundamental laws, concepts, and theories to apply them to everyday life.
- Consider the process of science — how scientific knowledge is generated and validated — to make independent, empirical inquiries about the natural world.
- Evaluate, interpret, and communicate data in the form of tables, graphs, and charts in oral and or written form.
- Create individual lesson plans and activities reflecting the curriculum and informed by best practices in pedagogy and technology.